For years, the Riverwalk satellite location of Somerset Hills YMCA has offered additional wellness and group exercise space to accommodate members’ needs by alleviating space limitations at Mt Airy. While the Y has continued to operate in this rented retail space, it has become increasingly cost-prohibitive to continue to do so. As a community-based non-profit, we must be mindful of our stewardship of the resources we have.
After exhaustive and thoughtful consideration, it was decided to not renew the lease at Riverwalk at the end of November. The Y has negotiated a modest extension of the Riverwalk lease to coincide with the completion of the $7 million, 2-story, 14,000 sq ft expansion and renovation at Somerset Hills YMCA’s primary location at Mt Airy and support a smooth transition for our members. The anticipated last day of operations at our Riverwalk location will be on December 31, 2019.
Many of our group exercise classes have already begun transitioning to the Mt Airy location to take advantage of the fresh, new studio spaces. Somerset Hills YMCA members who frequent Riverwalk will see familiar faces in the new group exercise studios and around the Mt Airy facility—your favorite instructors and the same friendly staff you’ve come to know and trust over the years.
We thank you, our members, for your continued support and understanding as we continually adapt and evolve to best serve your needs and the needs of the community for years to come. Members with questions are encouraged to contact Natalie Merizio, membership director at email@example.com
or 908 766 7898 x505.
Riverwalk Satellite Location Transition FAQs
Q: Why is Somerset Hills YMCA’s Riverwalk location closing?
A: It has become increasingly cost-prohibitive for the Y to continue to operate in this rented retail space. As a community-based non-profit, we operate on tighter margins than private industry and must be mindful of our stewardship of the resources we have. Therefore and after exhaustive and thoughtful consideration, it was decided to not renew the lease at Riverwalk at the end of November.
Q: I frequent the Riverwalk location. What happens to my membership?
A: Your membership will continue as is always has been—as a member of Somerset Hills YMCA. You will continue to enjoy access to all Somerset County & Plainfield YMCA branches as well as nationwide membership across the US and Puerto Rico. There will be nothing additional for members to do.
Q: What’s new at Somerset Hills YMCA’s primary facility at Mt Airy?
A: There is more for all of our members to enjoy and make the most of your monthly membership fees:
- Come enjoy the serenity of Studio 4 where all yoga, pilates, and mindfulness classes now take place.
- Refresh and refuel with the expansive selection of low- and no-calorie beverages and healthier-for-you snack and meal options at our new self-serve cafe.
- For those with family memberships, Kidz Korner at Mt Airy offers more hours for members, a wider variety of activities for kids of all ages, and robust youth programming throughout the facility
- For our members with mobility concerns, Somerset Hills YMCA’s Mt Airy facility offers a working elevator where the Riverwalk location continues to be out of order while we await action from property management.
Q: What should members who frequented the Somerset Hills YMCA Riverwalk satellite location know about group exercise classes at the main facility at Mt Airy?
A: Three brand new group exercise studios became available over the summer at Somerset Hills YMCA’s Mt Airy facility.
- They offer fresh studio space for all members of Somerset Hills YMCA.
- We are now no longer turning away members due to maximum class capacity.
Q: What should members know about the expanded and renovated Wellness Center at Somerset Hills YMCA’s Mt Airy facility?
A: The expanded and renovated Wellness Center’s enhanced features include: Fully accessible, more space, wider variety of equipment
- An additional 7,000 square feet more than doubles the total size of Somerset Hills YMCA’s Wellness Center
- The complete renovation of the existing Wellness Center resulted in a fully accessible Wellness Center—catering to the needs of members of all abilities
- New rubber flooring through out as well as a turf area for unique functional fitness activities
- Adding to offering like our Kinesis wall, additional and new equipment has been purchased for the new space in addition to the existing equipment that was recently refreshed last year.
Q: Why is Somerset County and Plainfield YMCA expanding the Somerset Hills YMCA - Mt Airy location?
A: Expanding Somerset Hills YMCA will ensure that we can best serve our robust membership and also address evolving community needs. The expansion will enhance the membership experience and provide additional opportunities for programs and services that allow everyone to improve wellness and live healthy, connected lives.
Q: What else will the Y be able to provide as a result of the expansion and renovation?
A: Renovations and additions will better enable Somerset Hills YMCA to continue to strengthen our community by:
- Creating a more inclusive space to ensure individuals of all ages and abilities have access to programs and services
- Providing new and more program options such as:
- Innovative fitness classes and wellness options
- Preventative health programs including chronic disease prevention and management
- Additional programs for individuals with special needs
- Programs that meet community needs and address social issues
- Allowing for additional space to provide a safe and positive environment for social connections for all ages
Q: What if I have additional questions?