Addressing Community Needs Through Volunteerism
Somerset County YMCA is committed to supporting the communities we serve through the Togetherhood® Program. The Y has established committees to identify community needs and lead projects that help our members give back and support their neighbors. This volunteer initiative is primarily focused on supporting our communities through:
- Veteran Support - Give back to veterans who have given so much for us
- Cultural Engagement - Respect, honor and celebrate diversity that is the fabric of our communities
- Senior Outreach - Connect with seniors who often feel lonely and isolated
- Special Projects - Support events that make our community vibrant and exciting
Ways to Get Involved Become a Committee Chair - Would you like to lead a committee that is driving change in your community? Commit to plan, attend, and lead monthly meetings; recruit and orient committee members. With Committee support, develop a calendar of projects that engage Y membership and align with the strategic priorities of the Y.
Become a Committee Member - Are you looking to make a difference in your community and have ideas for service projects? Commit to attend monthly meetings, share ideas for community service projects, help plan at least four service projects in a year and recruit volunteers.
Be a Project Volunteer - Have you been looking for an easy way to give back to your community? Become a project volunteer! All you have to do is show up and give a little bit of your time and effort.
Partner Organization/Group - Do you have a project that could use Togetherhood volunteers? Do you have something that a group of Y members and community participants could help with? Become a partner with us and present at a Togetherhood meeting.
Here are just a few of the ways we made a difference over the past few years:
- Hosted a Carnival Night for veterans at the local VA hospital
- Hosting a Habitat for Humanity Workshop for the community
- Celebrating Christmas in July with local veterans
- Helping neighbors with fall clean up efforts in the Somerville area
- Collecting household items for families affected by fires in Hillsborough and Bernardsville
- 700 back packs of food for children in Somerset County who often go hungry on weekends
- Support of veterans through donations of fresh produce, game nights and holiday caroling
- Support of senior citizens through Fall clean-ups
Be a part of something great and volunteer!