We are tremendously proud of the 51 athletes from Somerset Valley YMCA’s Swim Team who participated in the 2017 YMCA Short Course National Championship in Greensboro, NC this week. A very special thank you to our entire coaching staff and the parent volunteers who provide unwavering support to our Swim Team.
The team finished 6th overall in the combined standings, with the boys finishing in 6th, and holds the top spot among NJ teams. The team also broke 14 team records and 3 NJ Swimming records.
- Men’s 400 yard free relay team of Riley Pestorius, Ryan Waters, Josh Franco, and Mike Macchia finished 2nd overall, breaking the New Jersey Swimming 15-18 record and a team record in the process.
- Men’s 400 yard medley relay team of Mike Macchia, Brandon Evers, Riley Pestorius, and Ryan Waters finished 2nd overall, in the 2nd fastest time in program history.
- Senior Ryan Waters finished 2nd in the 1650 yard free relay and 200 yard free relay, breaking our team record in both events.
- Senior Megan Bull finished 3rd in the 200 yard breaststroke, breaking our team record in the event.
- 14-year-old Matt Fallon finished 9th in the 200 yard breaststroke, breaking the NJ Swimming 13-14 record in the process. He also broke the NJ Swimming 13-14 record in the 400 yard individual medley.
- Our distance team placed 6 total athletes in the top 24 in the 500 freestyle (4 Boys, 2 Girls). The team tied Sarasota, FL with the most athletes of any team in the 500.